Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Taking a moment to appreciate my right to write whatever the crap I want...


I was just having yet another moment of realizing how lucky I am to be able to write whatever I want on my blog.  I'm grateful to live in a country where so much is open to us.  It's also a blessing that the (albeit oft-times annoying) press can expose corruption without fear of severe censorship.
Our journalists have it easy:
"While working for mostly local outlets in seemingly peaceful times, [many journalists have] lost their lives as they plied their trade to expose corruption and other wrongdoings.
On a recent assignment in Iraq, a UNTV crew from my Department captured on video the plight of a journalist who was doing just that, although, luckily, with a much happier ending. Amina Al-Thahabi, an Iraqi television reporter, took two bullets from a revolver and two from a Kalashnikov. Despite the attack, she was not intimidated. She told our interviewer that her next project is making a documentary about the freedom of speech. A mother of two, she says she is working hard to make sure all the Iraqis get the information they need."
   --Huffington Post, May 3, 2010  by Kiyotaka Akasaka, UN Under-Secretary-General for Comm. & Public Info.

With stories like that, I hope that I'm not the only one that appreciates freedoms of the press & speech that we enjoy here.
Just saying.

K, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment