Thursday, March 25, 2010
Applying to law school: My thoughts, frustrations, opinions.
DC was a blast last week. I had a tough time returning to the cold here in Utah. The weather was absolutely perfect the whole time we were out there. Low 70s-ish the whole time, and sunny. It was great. I came back here, and we've had a bitter cold wind going on. Not great.
I really enjoyed getting to see George Mason Law. It's a tiny little campus. It was also under construction, so there wasn't much to see. They have one big building, and they're building a second. That's about it, plus, I may have already mentioned this, but I kept smelling cigarette smoke all over the campus. It's in a nice area of Arlington, though. I really love the DC area. I think that I'd enjoy living there a great deal, however, it's not exactly cheap. I would want some decent assurance I could pay off the debt of living there and of going to George Mason without a scholarship.
Random interruption to discuss the photo above. That's me and Ty on one of our three flights on the way out to DC. I had only had about 3 hours of sleep the night before, but I can't sleep on planes. Ty, as you see, was not having the same problem. That trip was seriously fun though. The flights weren't comfy, but getting to go somewhere was tremendous. I'm really glad that Spencer and Ty went with me as well.
Anyway, so I'm struggling with the George Mason choice, even though I really want to live there, and it's the best school that accepted me. I just worry that I'll get tons of debt and then struggle to get the types of jobs I would need to pay it all off.
I just learned that BYU sent out a bunch of decision letters today, including mine. What with the timing of their response, and the fact that there are a bunch of them at once, I'm fairly certain that at best I'll be waitlisted. If they had accepted me, I would definitely go there at this point. It just doesn't seem like I'd be accepted this late in the game.
I haven't thrown out Loyola, but it seems really unlikely. Cincinnati and Houston are pretty much out. (Houston could change my mind if when they offer scholarships next week they give me a great offer.)
Now, my current thoughts: I'm actually really considering Arizona State. When I applied I didn't think too much about going there, but now it's looking like one of my best options. To make it affordable, I'll have to establish residency after my first year. They've offered a scholarship for only my first year, in order to bring me down to below resident tuition. Then if I could actually establish residency it would be almost as affordable as Loyola with the big scholarship that they offered. It's a tough decision, and I need to make it in the next couple weeks, provided I don't want to waste any seat deposit money.
I've been pretty frustrated with getting waitlisted at U of Utah. I thought I'd get accepted, but it was never a for sure thing, obviously. Anyway, I'm surprised that I probably don't even have the option to stay in Utah for school after all.
I'm anticipating a lot of news tomorrow. I have a few letters on their way. I'll know more tomorrow. Wish me luck, again.