Friday, August 14, 2009

Smells, the rain, and no more work...

Today was my last day of work at Pinnacle Security. I'm glad to be done, but I wish I had earned more money this summer. Oh well, I'll figure things out. Many of my coworkers and I were distracted by the sudden onslaught of rain today. It was making a loud roaring noise on the roof of our building. After a while, that unmistakable scent of fresh rain came into the building. I really love that smell. It's one of the best out there.

That emanation reminded me of one I experienced last night as well. I went for a late-night jog. I ran around on the grounds of my childhood elementary school. As I passed a familiar doorway an odor hit me that brought back a lot of memories. If I had to give it a name, I'd call it, "back to school smell." It is a distinct smell that I now realize is almost exclusive to that elementary school, as far as all of the places I've been are concerned. I've never smelled it elsewhere. It immediately brought to my mind the cardboard tote-trays that my peers and I used, and the smell of new school supplies. Folders, pencils, pens, backpacks, etc. I really love when something has a very distinct scent that is all its own. Shelley Elementary has it's own flavor.

Anyway, getting back to the rain, I think it instinctively knew to come back yesterday and today. My mission president once told me to always carry spare bike tire tubes with us, and then we would never get flat tires. He gave us that advice because one of my companions and I had been plagued by an unfortunate series of flat tires. His reasoning went a little like this, "You know how every time you remember to take an umbrella out with you, it never rains? Well, if you always have an extra tire tube with you, you'll never get a flat tire." I think he's so right. It's funny how things go that way. The point of bringing that up (sorry about the tangent) is that I think there is a similar relationship between washing your car and the rain. Yesterday afternoon, it was a sunny, clear and hot day. I decided to finally wash my car for the first time in what seems like a year. Of course, the rain knew this was its cue, and came only a few hours later. So the moral of the story: don't wash your car... EVER! It will only bring some sort of weather phenomenon to destroy that beautiful new glimmer.

That's all.

K, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment