Saturday, January 23, 2010

Invictus and a great way to donate to Haiti...

Tonight I went and saw Invictus.  (I decided to avoid homework a little longer... maybe this was a good idea, but probably not.)  I thought it was pretty good.  I liked the idea of the movie, but the execution wasn't great to me.  The crowd scenes were repeated and were pretty fake looking a lot of the time.  The acting was all very, very good I thought.  Morgan Freeman is great, and Matt Damon did very well also.  It wasn't so cheesy as inspirational sports movies often are, but maybe that's part of the hard-to-describe reason I didn't LOVE this movie.  It just didn't really build excitement very well.  I felt like it was more just a straight-forward chronicle of what happened than it was an inspirational movie.  I mean, yeah it's a great story about an underdog team that won it all, but it really didn't capture the triumph of the change that nation was experiencing.  I think I expect too much.  It was entertaining enough, and I'm always a fan of the underdog, but I just felt like they didn't capitalize on all the elements of the story that really could have made this a GREAT film.  One last note: I was weirded out by how much focus there was on his security team.  I know they exemplified much of what he tried to accomplish in combining the races, but it threw me off a bit.

Anyway, Nelson Mandela was awesome and I really liked the story of Invictus, but didn't love everything about the film.  It was definitely good enough for a watch though!


I decided to donate to Haiti through the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints's Humanitarian Services.  It's always a great option because I know that 100% of the funds go to those who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment