Friday, May 8, 2009

Hadizatou Mani


85357726WM008_HILLARY_CLINT
Originally uploaded by hc1026
The world is so diverse. Yeah, I complain about not being able to find a job that I want, or about having to take a hard test like the LSAT, or about not getting enough relaxation time, (haha, I get PLENTY of that)... but there are still people who are slaves even today! I was reading the 2009 version of Time Magazine's "100: The World's Most Influential People," and I came across a woman named Hadizatou Mani. In order to be a member of the UN, a nation must submit their law to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights's stipulations. One of which says: "No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms."
--Article 4, Universal Declaration of Human Rights. So I was surprised to learn that the nation of Niger, that was admitted to the UN in 1960, only criminalized slavery in 2003! Hadizatou Mani was still held captive by her owner until 2005. He was NOT good news at all. Fortunately for Nigeriens (not Nigerians) she demanded justice and sued her country and won her case in 2008. Good thing there are people like her that do something about it, but how sad is it that slavery isn't dead? I hate when I find myself so caught up in my extremely small problems, and I fail to remember that there are people out there with REAL problems, and that are more than justified in complaining. Just another reality-check for Jeff. K, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment