Thursday, June 18, 2009

ALBUM REVIEWS (1 of 4): "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix" by Phoenix


phoenix
Originally uploaded by mitzi palenke
I was just privileged to discover a new band this evening via David Letterman's talk show. The French band, Phoenix, made an appearance and played "1901" from their new album called "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix." I checked the song demos out on iTunes and bought the album. It did not disappoint. I at first figured that the single "1901" would be my favorite. It is, with the exception of the song called "Rome," which is quite frankly my favorite song I've bought in a long time. This album is like a combination of the sunny pop sounds of Rooney, Of Montreal-ish vocals, and the musical experimentation of Rogue Wave... but Phoenix comes out better than all three of these bands. It's upbeat and fun, but isn't too over-the-top. I really enjoy the first three tracks, and of course, "Rome." If I had to rate this album I'd give it an 8.5/10. In other words, I loved some songs, other's were ok, and as a whole it's a worthwhile buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment