Friday, June 26, 2009

Not a great night. Transformers 2 gets a D- at best. LSAT... not great.

Hmm... well... this wasn't really the best day off. It was ok, but it wasn't great. I should say that today was ok, but tonight was NOT ok. Not great. First of all, I went to go see the second Transformers movie with a bunch of friends. I have to say that as soon as I heard there was a Transformers sequel, I didn't have any strong desire to see it. I thought the first was ok. I think I once gave the first one a four out of five stars. It was entertaining, but fairly weak. However, if I had to give the second one a rating... I'd struggle to give it one and half stars! It was AWFUL. OK, to be fair, it does have some great special effects and I did enjoy many of the action scenes. I also thought there were a few decent jokes, and I think Shia Labeouf is a good actor. However, my appreciation of these few glimmering bright spots was SERIOUSLY depleted when I got to the last hour of the movie, and was fully replaced by a BURNING desire have the film come to a freaking conclusion! This movie had about an hour and half's worth of potential for a decent plot. It DRAGGED on in the worst way. The writing, oh... wow, the writing. Ok, I know I'm not in the movie biz, and I don't really know what it's like to write a movie... but I honestly believe that I could have written a better plot than the crap that these people (who probably got paid handsomely) churned out. This was some serious crap. The biggest problem I have with this is that there is actually quite a lot of potential, but these people resorted to some of the lamest cheap trashy jokes and a plot that deserves to be in one of those one-dollar-thin-cased-crappy-DVD movies that you can buy at Wal-Mart (perfect for white elephant gifts!) Hmm... are you understanding that the plot sucked? The dialogue was awful. It made me gag so many times. While a few in the theater were laughing at the garbage-can-sludge jokes that were in the film (like a tiny robot humping a girl's leg like a dog), I was groaning. And while the film tried to dramatically connect with the audience, I was laughing. This film is just wrong on many, many counts. Not to mention that I was visually violated by sleazy attempts at humor far too many times. I've never wanted to get out of a theater so bad in my life. On the way home I kept mulling over how terrible it was, and I even came to the conclusion that I actually enjoyed Hell Boy 2 more than this movie! And I had to get dragged to Hell Boy 2! My friend even had to offer to pay for me to see it in order to get me to go. Yes, I liked that better than this. Ugh. To steal a line that my cousin once said in reference to Stephen Spielberg's A.I.: I wish I could take each penny that I paid for that movie and throw them at the writers over the course of the two and a half hours that was stolen from my life by that movie. I know that many people will probably enjoy this movie. There will be many that will say that it's ok, or worth seeing. I am NOT one of those people. If ALL you care about is a few cheap laughs, many many action scenes that are similar, and scantily-clad women... then this is probably a GREAT movie for you. If you care at ALL about a plot that is decent, doesn't have SERIOUS holes, if you care at ALL about dialogue being half-decent.... DO NOT SEE THIS. Waste of money. Ok... enough about that.

I know that I probably sound overly harsh, but really, that's how I feel about that movie right now. I really didn't enjoy it. It was really hard to find the good in it.

I got home in this mood and discovered an email I wasn't expecting. My LSAT score. I couldn't bring myself to open the email because I was already in such a bad mood from that movie, but I of course couldn't resist my curiosity's tugging at me. I got about what I expected. It's not good enough for me. I just seriously hope that the September 2009 LSAT will go a bunch better than the June LSAT did. I WILL be taking it again. At least I know what to expect from it next time. I'll hopefully be better prepared by then as well. I plan to keep studying and maybe do one practice test a week at least until then. That would be good. Anyway, I still need to exercise and go to bed. I'm seriously nocturnal lately. It's not healthy. Um... k bye.

P.S. After writing this entry I just discovered that I'm totally not alone in my feelings. I just read this review by one of the rottentomatoes.com reviewers, and he speaks many of my thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. LSAT, Shmellsat. On my version of the LSAT, (aka the JSAT) you would receive two gold star stickers and a hand-drawn stick figure cartoon panel! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, but the other kids got 3 gold star stickers and actual action figures!

    ReplyDelete