Friday, June 19, 2009

ALBUM REVIEWS (4 of 4): "Back and Fourth" by Pete Yorn


Pete Yorn
Originally uploaded by DaveyWilson
(I just now discovered the play on words in his album title. It's his fourth album. How fitting that this is my fourth review.) I really, really like Pete Yorn. He's been in my top ten artists and bands since his first album came out. His music has matured a lot. His first couple albums were a bit more poppy(for instance his second album "Day I Forgot" featured a song called "Burrito" about a 7-11 store burrito), he was never too poppy though. His third album and this one have both mellowed out a good deal, and they have a more adult sound. He's also written more songs with a good deal of twang (a move in the wrong direction if you ask me.) But I still thoroughly enjoy Pete's music. This album was only just barely released, but I already have found a few songs that I quite enjoy. "Don't Wanna Cry" is a great song. Some songs, like "Social Development Dance" and "Thinking of You," demonstrate the more folksy sound of Pete's latest efforts. It's a bit cheesy, but I enjoy the hopeful sound of "Four Years." There's a lot of depth to this album, and it takes a while to get to know, but it has already grown on me a lot. I'd give it a 7/10. If you're new to Pete Yorn try his first or second albums first, unless you're into more mellow folksy stuff, then this one for sure is where you start.

No comments:

Post a Comment