Sunday, June 14, 2009

Interesting story about a member of the Castro family...


Fidel Castro
Originally uploaded by BABAK.MOZAFFARI
Antonio Castro, the son of Fidel Castro (the one pictured here, in case you've never seen him before,) was tricked by a Cuban refugee blogger in Florida named Luis Dominguez into thinking that Dominguez was a 27-year old woman and started a fake online relationship. Luis Dominguez did it to try and get information from Antonio about the Castros. While Antonio didn't let any state secrets out or anything, Dominguez was able to hear many different things about the daily lives of the Castros and Antonio talked about his travels with his uncle Raul. Luis Dominguez is contending that the "opulent lifestyles" of the Castros is not befitting members of a communist country. He raises a very valid issue with communism under dictatorships. Despite the sorts of equality that the doctrines of communism are supposed to encourage, it seems that the dictatorships over these communistic attempts always end up giving themselves way more than they give the nation.
Anyway, I just thought it was really funny that this guy pulled off such a crazy stunt to penetrate the Cuban government, and judging by his blog he's very dedicated to his work. (If the 8-month off-and-on pretend romance wasn't enough to prove it.) His alter-ego was named Claudia, and she was a sports writer from Colombia! The BBC quotes Dominguez as saying: "I'm a Cuban and I'm a Cuban American and I have not been able to go back to my country since 1971 when I left.
I use whatever tools I have to be able to get back at these people. In Cuba people are put in prison for no reason at all. Their rights are violated... So, why can't I do the same thing to them? I have no remorse whatsoever." Anyway, I don't think I can fault him for invading the guy's privacy. It's so hard for me, an American with many protected rights, to understand what it's like for people in these situations. Honestly one of my biggest fears is unjust imprisonment, and I can't fathom having a government that I can't even trust to give me a fair shot at avoiding imprisonment. I would go crazy without at least some form of justice-assurance.
Apparently Claudia and Antonio have broken up recently, sad news! Shocking, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment